Coherence Movie Explained: True Ending (spoilers)

Home Forums Netflix News and Discussion Coherence Movie Explained: True Ending (spoilers)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mzieg 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    Joy
    Participant

I know this movie has been out for a while but I have only recently viewed it on Netflix(Canada). I immediately had questions about the film and decided to read up everything I can about the movie. I noticed a lot of people missed the ending completely by not paying attention to the continuity errors because MOST of the errors are done on purpose. Therefore, for anyone interested; this is what you should know about the movie after watching it:

1) Everyone that arrives at the dinner party at different times are from their OWN different dimensions.

We know this by the conversations throughout the movie. For example, Mike explains that he was an actor on the show, “Roswell” while Laurie, who says she, “loves the show” has never seen him on the show. Mike also comments about her yoga meanwhile Laurie denies it but then mentions doing yoga with Kevin when the two are talking in the hallway later on in the film. If that’s not enough proof, we also hear Mike make a comment about Em having her understudy fill in for her dance performances while she is traveling for a month with Kevin at the end of the film meaning Em ended up in a reality where she made all the right choices in the past.

2) Every decision creates a new reality and is not only because they walk through the dark void.

An example is when they all go outside together and then walk back into the house to find the wine glass had been broken. We are led to believe that the dark void is the Schrodingers box but it’s merely the absence of confirmation. When they all leave the house, the house becomes the box splitting up every possible reality the state of the house can be in. It’s not until they go back in that the house that the a reality of the house is selected. The same parallel explains why the Em that is placed in the bathtub is not there in the morning. It also explains why Laurie even tho never left anywhere on her own has memories doing yoga at one point in the movie vs denying it at the beginning.

3) The original Em DOES end up in the GOOD version of her life.

This is the mind blowing part of the movie once you figure out the previous two key points of the plot. After Em puts her alternate version of herself in her trunk, we see her put on that Em’s sweater. When she walks back inside we see her adjusting the sweater. Everyone then decides to go look at the comet while Em suggests to stay inside using excuses such as, “it’s really cold out there”. Everyone does anyways and for a brief second the screen cuts to black indicating a power outage but in actuality meant to hint at another change to an alternate reality. Em is not wearing her sweater when the power comes back on. I thought this was a continuity error at first but they filmed specific shots of her with the sweater. I then read that the directors purposely used continuity errors to display the alternate realities (e.g. Kevin’s shirt being buttoned differently each time a different Kevin appears).

What actually happens is we as the viewer is taken to another reality. One where Em does not take her sweater off the one she drugged and placed in her trunk. Em then notices another version of herself crawling back inside where she then kills her and leaves her in the bathtub. Em then walks out of the bathroom and feints. By understanding my earlier comments about plot points 1 and 2; we know that it’s not the black void on the street that swaps realities but every instance where Schrodinger’s principle can be applied IS applied.

What does this mean? The Em that feints is noticed by the rest of the characters and is placed on the couch where she wakes up in that reality because of the interaction that took place with everyone in that reality. The Em in the bathtub is gone in the morning because no one knew she was there, therefore the two realities did not collapse on each other.

As for the final scene where Kevin receives the phone call from Em’s number… It is the Em from the trunk because in this reality the Em who feinted did not take trunk Em’s sweater. The sweater in which her cellphone was in. The Em in the bathtub was an Em from a third reality since when she crawls inside the house, she had no sweater on indicating that this is another Em that managed to escape the trunk in another reality. The Em who feinted, although was not from this reality is left behind with trunk Em because of her interaction with the current reality and is the reason why both trunk Em and feinted Em is now stuck in the same world.

I hope this clearly explains the movie for those that have watched it. Let me know what you guys think or have any questions.

TL;DR: The entire movie follows one Em until the end of the movie when the characters see the comet break up in the sky. The original Em DOES end up in the Good reality.

What's on Netflix, Best Movies & TV Shows News.

SaltVomit

One of my favorite movies.

mzieg

> It is the Em from the trunk because in this reality the Em who feinted did not take trunk Em’s sweater. The sweater in which her cellphone was in. The Em in the bathtub was an Em from a third reality since when she crawls inside the house, she had no sweater on indicating that this is another Em that managed to escape the trunk in another reality. The Em who feinted, although was not from this reality is left behind with trunk Em because of her interaction with the current reality and is the reason why both trunk Em and feinted Em is now stuck in the same world.

> I hope this clearly explains the movie

Succinct summary :-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Featured Items Seen On Screen: